Show your home at its best So before you list it use this check list and recheck the items before the home inspector arrives.
- Remove any ground or mulch from the siding. At least 6-7 inches is preferred.
- Clean out the gutters or eavestrough from all the debris and make sure the downspouts are clear and directing water away from the home at least 5 feet.
- Remove vegetation from around the house and make sure trees are not to close.
- Paint all exterior wood and apply caulking around windows doors and exterior trim.
- Install rain caps on chimney if the are missing.
- Repair any brickwork and mortar joints.
- Clean or replace HVAC filters and don't forget the HRV on newer homes. Have the ductwork cleaned.
- Test smoke detectors and fit Carbon Monoxide detectors if none present.
- Make sure the attic access is clear as the inspector will need to get in.
- Make sure all windows and doors work and replace any hardware as needed.
- Check the plumbing for leaks and repair as necessary. You would be amazed at how many sink leaks we find.
- Check the toilet is not loose and seal around all baths and showers.
- Check the GFCI In bathrooms and kitchens work and replace as necessary.
- Replace any light bulbs not working.
- Check the sump pump for proper operation if one is fitted.
- If basement windows are at or below grade install window wells.
- If the house is vacant make sure all the utilities are on and everything works.
This list is not exhaustive but will provide a good start to a inspection.